PC-2A Tube Compressor
The new gold standard in natural, musical and quiet compression – this little compressor will inspire you to play and create music. The PC-2A is a true vintage studio compressor in a stompbox – there are no VCA chips, opamps or budget components in the signal path which is 100% analog and built on a hand selected photo-cell, polyester coupling capacitors, precision resistors (with silver/palladium contacts) and NOS (new old stock) tube operating at real amp plate voltages all on a special gold-plated printed circuit board.
The tube circuitry delivers stacks of head-room and low noise floor for outstanding dynamics, preserving the attack characteristics while creating musical and natural compression – the PC-2A wraps your signal in velvet, enhancing your guitar tone without stamping a solid-state signature on it. Useful in live situations for adding ‘punch’ or fattening up thin single coil pickups and indespensible when recording direct to digital audio workstations (computer) to prevent nasty transient distortion artifacts that modern digital recording devices produce if overloaded. Acoustic players will also appreciate the smoothness and sustain the PC-2A will add to amplified acoustic guitar, especially those fitted with piezo pickups.
The tube is manufactured to meet the stringent MIL-E-1 specification for reliability and designed for long service life under conditions of severe shock, vibration (20,000G!), high temperature and high altitude. The subminiature tubes represent the absolute pinnacle of tube technology and offer exceptional musical performance and reliability making this the perfect compressor pedal for studio and touring in even the harshest conditions. Like my other subminiature tube pedals, the PC-2A is true bypass for uncoloured feed-through.
- Adrian Legg
- Steve Rothery – Marillion
- David Gilmour – Pink Floyd
- Paul Turner – Jamiroquai
- Andy Jackson – Tube Mastering
- Jon Carin – Touring ‘The Wall’ with Roger Waters
- Phil Shiell – BantabaX
- Frank Sullivan – Survivor
- John Fairhurst
- Richard Aitken – Nimrod Productions
- Dee Ral – Go West, Louise, Eternal, Sholla Ama, Mica Paris, Phil Collins, Faith Hill, et al
- All Tube: 100% pure analog vacuum tube audio path operating at amp plate voltages ensures the PC-2A compressor has huge headroom and very quiet, natural sound reproduction. The result is a compressor that performs exceptionally well with electric, active bass, 12-string and acoustic guitars.
- Limit/Compress Switch: Select between two completely different compression curves. ‘Compress’ mode is a light, subtle compression that can be used to enhance tone and even out string dynamics – the tube and photo-cell yields an extremely natural sounding compression. ‘Limit’ mode is heavier for a punchier, ‘squished’ country tone.
- Internal Attack control: To allow bass players with high output/active pick-ups to adjust the compression response characterstic to tailor it to their needs.
- True Bypass Switching: With Effectrode’s unique ‘anti-pop’ or ‘thump’ footswitching circuitry utilising sealed, gold-contact relay to eliminate the possibility of dirty contacts degrading the sound and minimial internal audio path.
- ‘Proper’ side-chain: A-weighted pre-emphasis in the side-chain replicates the response of the human ear and allows for heavy compression without the excessive ‘pumping’ normally associated with compressors processing low-frequency material, for much more natural and musical effect.
- Photo-optical gain control: The gain control attenuator is based on a resistive photocell which ensures the absolute minimum of distortion is introduced (much lower than V.C.A. and F.E.T. designs). Additionally, the natural decay characteristic of the photocell produces a smooth release characteristic which always sounds pleasing and natural to the ear.
- Works as a tube boost pedal!: The gain is about 15dBu maximum with the ‘Peak Reduction’ knob fully anticlockwise and the ‘Gain’ knob fully clockwise. This is enough to push a Tweed or Deluxe amp into breakup and overdrive territory.
- Fitted with NOS gilded grid tube: The gold content is 5.4 mg in grids of both triodes. Military quality, “OTK” and military rhombus signed on the body – manufactured by MELZ plant (Moscow city, Soviet Union).
- Includes 12V Wall-wart Power Supply: High quality low-noise switched mode 12VDC at 1.5A wall-wart compatible with all our pedals. Accepts 100V to 240VAC mains input and comes with different mains outlet adaptor plugs, so there is always a plug that fits the country that you are playing in.