The MERCURY fuzz is constructed from a space-grade dual triode tube and NOS point-contact crystal diodes—there’s a lot of glass in this pedal! Here’s how it works. First, the two triode tube stages add second order even harmonics to the guitar signal, generating asymmetrical distortion. Next, crystal diodes clip the guitar signal symmetrically to add upper-order odd harmonics. The even harmonics warm up the tone, so it becomes fuller, and the odd harmonics add a dash of fire and fizz.
This unique blend of vacuum tube and solid-state technology means the MERCURY is more dynamic, responsive and versatile than an ordinary transistorised fuzz pedal. It can smoothly transition from full-bodied, Gilmourish overdrive to devastating distortion with a just the twist of the “FUZZ” knob. It’s like a tube amp being pushed beyond it’s limits and into meltdown.
At full throttle the fuzz is immense. The MERCURY generates endless amounts of smooth, liquid sustain where notes stretch into infinity. At lower settings the fuzz cleans up nicely to produce natural sounding (real!) tube dirt and overdrive. The guitar retains detail with unprecedented clarity and string-to-string definition. An incredibly simple, yet versatile pedal.
- All Tube: 100% pure analogue vacuum tube audio path operating at amp plate voltages
- Fuzz Flexibility: Stacks of fuzz sounds from a warm warm, tubey drive to devastating over-the-top distortion.
- “BIAS” Switch: “Center”, “Hot” or “Cold” bias the second tube stage to alter the feel and sensitivity of the fuzz.
- Vintage Crystal Diodes: A unique crystal diode matrix replicates the “voltage drop” of a selenium rectifier for more dynamic range and a rich, complex tone.
- True Bypass: “Anti-pop” true bypass footswitching.
- “Dakaware” Knobs: Authentic Bakelite Dakaware Chicago 1510 knobs custom made in the U.S.A.
- Fitted with a vintage tube: Each MERCURY fuzz pedal is fitted with a hand-selected NOS Sylvania 6948 pencil tube.
- Includes 12VDC 1.5A Wall-Wart: High quality low-noise switched mode power supply operating from 100-240VAC mains input. Supplied with various adapter plugs to facilitate connection to mains outlets in other countries. Compatible with all Effectrode pedals.
John Glenn was the first American astronaut to orbit the Earth in 1962, putting America ahead of the Russia in the space race. The MERCURY fuzz pedal is named after the space vehicle, or capsule, in which he made three orbits of the Earth. Our tribute to Glenn’s staggering achievement and all those involved at NASA.
Note: Limited edition pedal! Stocks of high quality N.O.S. tubes are in short supply, meaning we cannot guarantee continued production of this pedal for any amount of time.