The Tube Drive™ overdrive pedal contains three twin triode tubes operating at real amp plate voltage (300VDC!). The cascaded 6-stage vacuum tube circuitry is precision-biased to generate highly symmetrical clipping distortion. The sound is immense, harmonically-saturated; a “fine-grained” and super smooth distortion. It’s perfect for devastating, post-apocalyptic metal players, or infinitely sustaining, high-gain “hot-rodded” tube amp tones—think Gary Moore or Joe Satriani.
But this tube overdrive pedal has a sweeter, more sensitive side too. Roll back the gain knob and the searing distortion gives way to a mellower, more bluesy overdrive. At low gains the multi-stage tube clipping circuitry responds almost empathically to pick attack so the Tube Drive dances on the edge of break-up; dig in just that little bit harder and the pedal smoothly transitions from being sweet & clean to dirty & mean. It’s addictive, and musically inspiring.
Whats more, you can fine-tune the character of the Tube Drive by swapping out tubes. The tone and gain characteristics of an overdriven guitar can be drastically altered by interchanging tubes—in fact, the pedal is designed for easy access to the tubes for this purpose. The Tube Drive is quickly and easily transformed into a high-gain distortion beast or a mellow blues driver by simply swapping out a tube for a different type. For example, swapping out the 12AX7 tube in the top right hand position for a lower mμ 12AY7 or 12AV7. This will alter the pedal’s overdrive characteristics so that is becomes more full-bodied and bluesy sounding. The perfect tonic to today’s flat and one-dimensional digital guitar tones.
- All Tube: 100% analogue, class-A tube circuitry operating at real amp plate voltage (300VDC!) . All-tube means there’s no silicon transistors or op amps in the signal path, just pure tube tone!
- “Baxandall” Tone Stack: The Tube Drive features an active tube tone control with zero insertion loss. Passive tone stacks remove mid & high frequency content (“tone-sucking”). The Baxandall stack actively boosts them, so you guitar really cuts through in a mix.
- Active Bass Boost: Boosts the bottom-end for a heavier, thicker sound. Adds some serious muscle to your tone. Thicken up the sound of single coil pickups when playing at low volumes to compensate for loudness. Make an open-back speaker cab sound more like a closed-back cab.
- “Dakaware” Knobs: Authentic Bakelite Dakaware Chicago knobs custom manufactured in the U.S.A.
- Daylight visible orange LED: Indicates when pedal is doing its thing.
- Includes 12VDC 1.5A Wall-Wart: High quality low-noise switched mode power supply operating from 100-240VAC mains input. Supplied with various adapter plugs to facilitate connection to mains outlets in other countries. Compatible with all Effectrode pedals.